Not many people understand the role of their home’s air ducts and the value of routine maintenance on them. What exactly are air ducts, and why is it essential to keep them clean? Air ducts are important components of your air conditioner, and they help circulate cooled air throughout your house. It also helps maintain good indoor quality, as it can also move old, stale air out of your home.
Since its sole job is to provide coolness throughout your home, it makes perfect sense that you should clean it regularly and often. However, most people do not give much thought to air ducts and believe them to be clean enough without checking for themselves. In that case, your air ducts get clogged with dust, debris, rodents, allergens, and other debris, resulting in respiratory problems or any other respiratory diseases.
It can cost you your health. It can result in a clogged system that will take more time to cool off your home because it cannot do its job correctly, increasing energy bills. This article will shed some light on some of the more common questions that might arise regarding air ducts.
How Often Should I Have My Air Ducts Cleaned?
On average, air ducts should be cleaned every two to five years. If your system is well- maintained and your filters are replaced twice a year, you can extend the period between professional cleanings. Your system is also likely due for cleaning if it has not been cleaned and has not been active only on your property for more than three years.
You also have to take into consideration the place you live in. If there is construction work going on or your area has high pollution, then your air ducts are likely going to be clogged more frequently while reducing the air quality in your home. Therefore, if you want your system to work efficiently, have your air ducts cleaned more often.
When Should I Get My Air Ducts Cleaned?
Air duct cleaning does not take a long time than replacing your entire system, but you still might want to set aside a time during the season when you are not likely going to need to use your system. By doing this, you can help ensure that the HVAC company will take their time to get your air ducts thoroughly cleaned.
One sign you might need an air duct cleaning service is that you start experiencing a dusty or musty smell whenever you turn on your HVAC system. This smell often indicates that there is dust and debris in your vents. These dust particles are then blown into your room along with hot or cold air from the HVAC system.
What Happens When You Don't Clean Your Air Ducts?
You’ll notice several issues if your air ducts are overdue for a cleaning, such as:
- Musty smell or mold: Mold is recognized by its musty smell and can develop inside the air ducts. They love to grow in humid or wet places, and if you see physical molds appearing inside your air ducts, then you should call professional services immediately. The cause of inconvenience does not stop at just a musty odor, but it can also lead to cough and itching.
- Infestation of pests: Pests are notorious for getting into your home through air vents as they can easily snark inside your house and have no real trouble in walking through cramped air ducts from one space to the next. They come in through air ducts because dust and debris, along with a bit of moisture, are a primary breeding ground for these animals. This can put you and your family at risk of health problems and respiratory diseases, as well.
- An increase in energy bills: If you don’t clean your air ducts, your HVAC system will have a harder time cooling your home. In turn, this will then increase energy bills. This can all be prevented if your air ducts are cleaned regularly.
What Are the Benefits of Cleaning Air Ducts?
There are three primary benefits to getting your air ducts cleaned. These include:
- A well-maintained air duct will result in cleaner air throughout your house and eventually having more sterile living spaces. In short, your indoor air quality will be increased significantly.
- Allergy symptoms that might arise because of dust will be reduced drastically as regular air ducts will get pests, bacteria, or allergens removed.
- It will also remove the unpleasant smell or musty odor.
Having dirty, moldy air ducts doesn’t sound healthy. That is why you should turn to us here at Absolute Airflow. We can handle this for you to enjoy a better quality of indoor air in your life overall. To learn more about our professional air duct cleaning services, please contact us today.